BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Surgery sucks

So, I had my surgery yesterday to remove the skin cancer on my lip and face.
Just so you know, this post will NOT have any pictures of my face. I can barely stand to look at it, so I am not going to post it for the world to see!

We got there at 7:30 and they finally saw me around 8:00am.
The first thing that they did was numb me in my lip. Which was a lot less painful than when they numbed me for the biopsy.
I don't know exactly what they did next, I asked them to spare me the details for my own sanity. But they took a sample of the cancer and then froze it and tested it to see if there was any cancer on the edges so they could figure out the cancer's path and we could go from there.
I went into the waiting room during this process. Luckily Jonathan was there to keep my company and keep me sane.
We went through this (I believe) four times until they finally got it all out. Then they stitched me up (it took about 2 hours or so). They did this crazy thing that actually electrocuted my lip (I didn't feel it because I was numbed) but I could SMELL it and I could hear it. I'm not sure EXACTLY what it was for, but it was crazy.
My doctor was really amazing and the people in the room where joking around with each other. It was nice and took my mind off of what they were doing. I guess during one point, the nurse went into the waiting room and saw that Jonathan looked really worried so she told him I was doing fine. I love him! There was no need for him to be so worried though!
When they were all finished I was asked if I wanted to look at it. I was a little unsure because I was already having a hard time with knowing that I was going to have a noticeable scar...but I looked at it. I was mortified. I looked like the bride of Frankenstein! It went all the way from my nostril down to the bottom of my top lip.

I finally got home at 3:30 and I was in a LOT of pain with the numbing finally went away. I also found that I couldn't eat ANYTHING because I couldn't get my mouth to open wide enough.

This morning the pain was gone, but my lip was/is extremely swollen. I FINALLY looked at my lip again today and realized it didn't look so bad. There are clear stitches down to my lip, then they are black on my lip and all the way up inside my lip (Yes INSIDE my lip all the way up).

I hope the scar doesn't turn out so bad. I already have an issue with my self esteem and the way that I look. I don't need a huge, noticeable scar on my lip to make things worse.

I'm not looking forward to going out in public and having people stare at the band-aid that now graces the front of my face! Come on people! It's just a stupid band-aid, there is no need to stare!
But they did before with my little one and they will with this one too.
At least I only have to wear it until Tuesday when I get the stitches out.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww Don't worry, the way medicine and surgery is today, they know how to sew people up to where the scar is minimal at best. I have a feeling you will be back to your beautiful self in no time! and the important thing is that you will be cancer free!! You are a strong woman! and you have a wonderful husband who is there for you and loves you unconditionaly! Love you sweetie! Just stay focused on the positive!