BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 23, 2009

Test results

I got the results of my biopsy today.

I have a skin cancer called known as Basal Cell Carcinoma. I am scheduled to have surgery to remove it on March 17th at 7:30am. The surgery I am having is called Mohs Micrographic Surgery and I have been told that I will have a scar from it.

I feel so selfish and stupid with being so upset about it. I mean, there are such worse cancers out there and the cancer I have won't even affect my health if I keep it, but the spot will get bigger or worse. I guess it is the fact that I just already have such a huge issue with my self esteem and I have a problem with loving my body and looks the way that they are and a scar on my face isn't going to make it any better.

But, I suppose it is a choice between keeping the red mark and watching it get bigger and bigger or getting a scar (which MAY NOT be so noticeable over time) that can be covered with make up as well.

I just can't believe that I got a form of SKIN cancer at the age of 24 (actually 22 because that is when the red spot first showed up). Its probably my fault for waiting so long to get it checked out (seriously kicking myself in the ass right now) but I didn't really think it was something to worry about. I was wrong, as usual.

The lesson from all of this. WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN and get things CHECKED OUT if they are not going away! I have heard about all kinds of cancers in children as well as adults, but never sunscreen. Even my doctors said I was really young, but it is always possible. They also said that since I got it so young, I need to make sure I cover myself up when I go out in the sun since I am obviously so susceptible to skin cancer.

I'm really shocked right now, I didn't think that it would happen to me at least at not such a young age. But I should know from experience that cancer has no age.

0 comments: